So...I have no patiece with Parker this week. I know....I know....I'm 10 weeks pregnant and well...I don't have any patience when I'm feeling my best.
But he has pushed my buttons until I actually let out screams and cry and cry. And there is no punishment, or spanks, or yells that changes his mind about the wrong choices and bad behavior. The kid is a stubborn stone.
So the other day....it was time to get ready for swim lessons. I have paid money and sacrificed much (meaning....it's hard to get this hulk into a swim suit, but I do it out of love.)
Anywho...I simply asked him to go potty before we put the swimsuit on....all of the sudden he was kicking and hollaring and I said forget it....let's just get ready to swim....no. My mom tried to get him to get dressed and he would go dead weight and neither of us could get him up. So I said, you have a choice. You can get ready and go swimming or you can sit in a dark corner all day with no toys or shows. HE PICKED THE CORNER! What kid does that?!!!!!! So he sat in the corner for about 2 hours. I was so angry. And he was mad at me because I asked him to go potty....the nerve of me. He's 3 1/2 years old....the nerve of me.
So the whole day I was distraught thinking I wasted money on the swimming and figuring the State of Utah will take him away from me for not being able to attend Kindergarted in a DIAPER!
sigh.....
I've tried all the tricks. Disciplining no longer works with this kid....because he chooses the punishment over the fun...that isn't right. He doesn't fear toys being taken away or shows being turned off....he'd rather that happen before going potty every time he has to go or obeying or being nice to me.
Where or where is my sweet boy?
Well, he was back today....off and on. Swim class was a success. And though he didn't go potty before class, he held it and he did go for me when we got home. Reasoning....who knows. And why did he go so willingly....well he didn't....but I figured that the whining about it had something to do with the chewies he was eating....so I said to take them in with him and he did and all was well. The boy used to be so good at communicating his needs and wants with words....now he doesn't use words and just goes straight to screams and cries and yells and BLAH!
For instance, he was in need of lunch after swimming. Fine...I can do that. I'm his mother and it is my duty to feed the boy. He wanted grapes and a banana cut up. Perfect....he's a healthy kid...I'm proud. Well...pregnant me needed to use the potty....in a bad way. Since I've been pregnant....it's always in a bad way that I need to go. He was watching a show and I figured, I'm the adult and the one in charge...I'm going to do my thing and then I'll get him lunch. As I began my business, I heard the loudest shriek come from the living room. It was the word mom and followed with crying. I'm thinking....holy crap....the boy is being kidnapped or worse! I said, what is wrong.......I said I wanted my lunch! Excuse Me!!!!! My sweet boy was reacting this way because I took a minute to pee?
I actually got him to apologize for screaming and speaking to me in such a tone and I made his lunch. He gets all bent out of shape if his food isn't ready in time for the show to start....so he likes me to make his food during commercials and then have it ready for the show to begin. OCD ANYONE! Now I don't spend my day complying with these crazy demands from my 3 year old....but the tantrums that come with these demands are kicking my butt.
Darn the age of 3. He was never like this when he was 2. I can't wait to see what 4 brings me. Are they sweet again at 4?
I know that I'm not alone in this....but sometimes it feels like it. All of my neighbors have their kids potty trained. What did I do wrong? I've been working at it for 1 year....and though there is progression....there is no getting him out of pull ups. I don't have the stamina for peeing all over my carpet to leave him naked. sigh again.
I'm sure lucky to have him though. He is special in so many ways and has a heart of gold. He has manners and loves without fail. But a stubborn stone I say. Hopefully I can be inspired to know how to direct this stubborness to do good things and not for evil. :)
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
Hang in there. I know it's hard, but don't give in to his tantrums. They will pass. And if he's still in diapers in Kindergarten, I'm sure know that all the other kids aren't will make him want out of them real quick! :-)
Oh Amy! I feel like I have days like that with my Kaley, also age 3 1/2. She used to be soooo sweet, and now all I get is the SASS! Some of our neighbors do the "nose in the corner" thing. That seems to work, but Kaley cries and is yelling at tme the whole time with her nose in the corner! I agree, it does wear on me too! I hope they get sweet again at 4! Can't wait!
Post a Comment