CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 6, 2008

Fall Harvest and The Fun of it All

So my mom planted some carrots in her garden. And I'm thinking our Utah dirt is a bit hard. :)
The only thing I got from my garden I planted this year was pumpkins and a tiny bit of basil. It only lasted me one meal. But my pumpkins are great. I first got these two big beautiful pumpkins. My mom and I chopped one up and I cooked it and pureed it into baggies and froze some for my fall baking projects. And the other pumpkin was used for a Parker painting project. He has been begging me to paint and decorate his pumpkin so we did that this morning. He did very well and didn't even make a mess.

He wanted to do a Mickey face and a Parker face. So that is his pumpkin art.

Hopefully we can do some more work and have a better harvest with more variety of veggies next season. But it was sure fun to make my own pureed pumpkin from my own garden. I didn't save any money doing it, but I created it and planted it and grew it and cooked it and can make yummy desserts for my family with it. Parker and I have a date this week to make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. He won't eat them, but he'll love helping me make them.

I have four other pumpkins in my patch that will be done very soon. It will be a fun Fall season with our very own home grown pumpkins...that saved us no money at all...but it was a fun family project. Parker loved watering the pumpkins and checking on them all Summer. If a lesson was learned...then that is what is important...I guess.

Happy Fall Everyone!

6 comments:

Jonathan and Michelle

Cute pumpkins! That is so exciting that you grew them yourselves! I love the painting job that Parker did, what a fun project.

Rebecca

How cute! It looks like he had fun painting. Parker did a good job on his Mickey. I love the carrot. We didn't think ours grew at all but we harvested them the other night and they were way bigger than we thought.

shell8170

Awww that's cute, his smile was awesome! Your pumpkins are great and that carrot is hysterical...I love it!

VirtualM

Saving money is overrated. You grew your own pumpkins! :)

American Falls TaVaci

Don't worry Parker, I got your back. I'll eat any of those cookies you don't want :) :) :)

Stephanie

Cool pumpkins! it looks like Parker had a blast painting his and he did such a great job!

The carrot looks possessed! too funny. all is well with only the occasional misfit fruit or veggie right. as long as we don't start seeing fish with 3 eyes or something like that...... right???:)